Non-Essential Businesses to Open May 29
Arlington and Northern Virginia will begin a “Phase 1” reopening on Friday, May 29. Non-essential businesses may reopen with additional cleaning, safety precautions and social distancing. Employees and patrons must wear masks. These businesses include:
● Retail establishments operating at 50% capacity; no fitting rooms.
● Restaurants and bars offering outdoor dining at 50% occupancy; no condiments on tables.
● Barber shops, salons & tattoo parlors by appointment with one patron per service provider.
● Fitness centers offering outdoor exercise, limited to 10 participants.
● Outdoor pools for lap swimming in designated lanes.
Reopening was announced even though only 4 of 6 key metrics are on track. The remaining key metrics are sustainable supplies of personal protective equipment for medical staff and expanded capacity for contract tracing. Leaders hope these problems are resolved soon. InsideNOVA
Arlington to Expand Outdoor Restaurant Seating on Public Spaces
On Wednesday Arlington will start taking Temporary Outdoor Seating Applications for restaurants to occupy sidewalks, public spaces, and parking lots. Similar regulations to increase outdoor seating are underway in DC.