Lee Highway Renaming Process Begins
The Lee Highway Alliance (LHA), which is spearheading the renaming process, says its Working Group will start holding virtual meetings, which will be open to public viewing online:
● Wed, Sept 16, 6:30-8:30 PM
● Wed, Sept 30, 6:30-8:30 PM
● Wed, Oct 21, 6:30-8:30 PM
● Wed, Jan 13, 6:30-8:30 PM
Andy Rude, LVCA Board Member, is representing LV.
- Sept 2020: Initial communication to the broader Lee Highway community from LHA: Eliciting suggestions for new words to name Lee Highway.
- Oct/Nov 2020: Incorporation of ideas from civic associations, local businesses, LHA Communications Committee, & Advisory Groups to discuss at the Working Group and help to arrive at a shortlist.
- Jan 2021: Shortlist with #1 choice & 2-5 alternatives sent to the LHA Board for review followed by the Arlington County Board. Work session with County Board to discuss rationale for names.
- Feb/Mar 2021: County Board sends recommendation to Commonwealth Transportation Board or Virginia General Assembly for action.
- Name is welcoming to all people and businesses.
- Name promotes economic vitality: effectively brands the corridor.
- Name increases public understanding of cultural history and racial equity.
- Name is relevant to Arlington/Northern VA and to place (history, flora, culture, landscape, etc.).
- Name is not Highway but promotes Main Street character in accord with the revisioning under Plan Lee Highway.
- Name would work for all four Northern VA jurisdictions that include Lee Highway.
- Name reflects community and business/property owners’ input.
- Name is not already used for another street or road in Arlington.